Based on the location of the original Lenox Hill, which was on a farm that spanned present-day 68th Street to 74th Street, east of Fifth Avenue, The Encyclopedia of New York City defines the neighborhood as the area between 60th Street and 77th Street, from Fifth Avenue on the west to Lexington Avenue on the east. However, neighborhood boundaries can shift and most residents see the modern boundaries differently, as the Lenox Hill post office and the neighborhood's service-oriented retail shops are located east of Lexington Avenue. Many maps also place Lenox Hill in the eastern section of the Upper East Side's lower portion, including maps of Manhattan Community District 8 and by the Friends of the Upper East Side.
The neighborhood is named for the hill that "stood at what became 70th Street and Park Avenue." The name "Lenox" is that of the immigrant Scottish merchant Robert Lenox (1759-1839), who owned about 30 acres (120,000 m2) of land "at the five-mile (8 km) stone", reaching from Fifth to Fourth (now Park) Avenues and from East 74th to 68th Streets.For the sum of $6,420 ($105,000 in current dollar terms) or $6,920 ($113,000) he had purchased a first set of three parcels in 1818, at an auction held at the Tontine Coffee House of mortgaged premises of Archibald Gracie, in order to protect Gracie's heirs from foreclosure, as he was executor of Gracie's estate. Several months later he purchased three further parcels, extending his property north to 74th Street. According to one source, "Thereafter these two tracts were known as the 'Lenox Farm.'" The tenant farmhouse stood on the rise of ground between Fifth and Madison avenues and 70th and 71st Streets, which would have been the hill, if the property had ever been called "Lenox Hill." The railroad right-of-way of the New York & Harlem Railroad passed along the east boundary of the property.
Union Theological Seminary on Park Avenue, in Lenox Hill (1883).
Robert Lenox's son James Lenox divided most of the farm into blocks of building lots and sold them during the 1860s and 1870s; he also donated land for the Union Theological Seminary along the railroad right-of-way, between 69th and 70th Streets, and just north of it a full square block between Madison and Fourth Avenue, 70th and 71st streets, for the Presbyterian Hospital, which occupied seven somewhat austere structures on the plot; He built the Lenox Library on a full block-front of Fifth Avenue, now the site of the Frick Collection.
Churches in Lenox Hill
Eighth Church of Christ Scientist 103 East 77 Street
St. Jean Baptiste Church and School 184 East 76 Street
Unitarian Church of All Souls 1157 Lexington Avenue
Schools in Lenox Hill
Robert F. Wagner Middle School 220 East 76 Street
Ramaz Upper School 60 East 78 Street
Allen Stevenson School 132 East 78 Street
THE FUND FOR PARK AVENUE 445 Park Avenue
CIVITAS 1457 Lexington Avenue Tel 212-996-0745
CARNEGIE HILL NEIGHBORS
Lo van der Valk, President
1326 Madison Avenue
New York, NY 10128\212-996-5520
The Mark Hotel 25 East 77 street
The Carlyle Hotel 35 East 76 Street
Mt. Sinai Hospital 1468 Madison Avenue
Metropolitan Hospital 1901 First Avenue
Weill Cornell Hospital 525 East 68 street
Gracie Square Hospital 420 East 76 Street
Harlem Hospital 506 Lenox Avenue
Hospital for Special Surgery 536 East 70 street
Memorial Sloan Kettering 1275 York Avenue
Manhattan Eye and Ear 210 East 64 Street *Owned by Northwell
NYU Langone 550 First Avenue
East Siders For Sensible Development